Learning to drive can be stressful for not only the driver, but the parent. On top of teaching your teenager to drive, you also have to worry about the insurance for your car when they’re driving it, or the insurance on their own car. 

Q. If a learner driver gets in an accident, will the insurance on the car go up?

A.  From September 2019, ICBC is moving to more of a driver-based insurance model, meaning at-fault crashes will follow the driver, not the vehicle. However, crashes caused by learner drivers will not go on their driving record. Learners won’t be penalized while their learning, but the learner stage will not count towards their driving experience. Drivers only start gaining experience when they get their N license. 

Q. Will my insurance premium rise when there is a learner driver using my vehicle?

A.  Yes. A new additional premium will apply to recognize the risk that learner driver represents and helps cover the cost of crashes caused by learners. The learner premium is approximately $225. 

Q. If multiple learner drivers are using my vehicle, will I need to pay multiple additional premiums?

A.  No. It’s one cost to cover all learners. 

Q. How much is the premium for learner drivers?

A. The learner driver premium can range from $130 to $230 per year depending on where you live.

Q. How much can new drivers expect to pay?

A. This can change depending on the driver. Factors like years of driving experience, distance the car is driven daily (less than or more than 15km/day from school or work), accident history, the type of vehicle driven, your deductible, and the type of protection you choose. Contact me for a quote!

Q. Do you need parental consent to get your L?

A. Parent or guardian consent is required for anyone under 19 applying for a driver’s, motorcycle, or commercial license.

Q. When can I get my N license?

A. After one year with your L (only driving under supervision), you can take your N (Novice) road test and then you can get your N. 

Q. When can I get my full license?

A. You can take the road test to get your Class 5 license once you’ve been a Novice driver for 24 consecutive months without any driving prohibition. If you’ve taken an ICBC-approved driver training course in the L stage, and have no at fault crashes, tickets, or prohibitions, you might be able to take it after 18 months. 

I hope that gives you some information on what to expect with your new driver hitting the road when it comes to insurance! Stay tuned for upcoming blog posts on all things insurance.